Friday, May 26, 2006

I am better than A.R. Rahman





People talking good about A.R. Rahman's mindblowing tunes....people admires him for his good work....big Directors willing to wait for his music.... But there is one guy talking the other side about Rahman....he is non other than Sanjay Leela Bansali's DEVDAS Music Director Ismail Darbar.....

'My work is better than Rahman's'

Though the movie bombed, Kisna's music fared well, and Darbar managed to shine in spite of sharing credit with the legendary A R Rahman.


Darbar believes his work on Kisna was, in fact, better than Rahman's. "My work has always been better than Rahman's. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was better than Taal, and Devdas was better than Saathiya," he says.

He tells Contributing Entertainment Correspondent Patcy N how he got Kisna because his work was good. The first of a two-part conversation:

Rahman did not have time to compose the music and Subhashji wanted to start his film. So he approached me. Subhashji had spoken to Rahman earlier about the joint music direction as we did not want any misunderstanding.

I do not usually do movies where there are two music directors. But Kisna was special.

People have told me my work was better than Rahman's in Kisna. No one has told me otherwise. It could be because I have made eight songs while Rahman has created only two.

But my work has always been better than his. Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam was better than Taal. Even Devdas was better than Saathiya.

But it is destiny that he got international fame. Angrezo ne uska haath pakad liya hai toh logo ko lagta hai ke yeh kuch zyada hi hai (Foreigners encouraged him so people think he is very good).

I am not saying this because of jealousy. This is the bitter truth.

Whenever my work is good and he takes the awards, I feel bad.

I wonder why people run after name and fame, and not good work. Kyunki hamare yahan bahut kum akal ke log hai (we have very few intelligent people here). We see some foreigners holding someone's hand, and he becomes a big man.

But the foreigners have also praised my work in Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas.

Rahman (below, right) and I have not worked together on any of the Kisna songs. His two songs were recorded even before I started work on the film. I didn't even speak to him for any of the tunes and nor did I listen to his songs before I composed mine.

I was told that Kisna is set in the 1940s. So I started visualising the songs in that period. If there were a qawwali in the nawab's haveli, how would it be? Besides, it should also appeal to the new generation. I am happy I have done justice to the film.


What u guys going to say.....Go To Hell Ismail Darbar...or....You are right Ismail Darbar......?

....fishing Umbrella Cotton Kite!

Cheers!
Balan Ji

No comments:

Search Real Reels

Google